Monthly Archives: August 2014

Food Handler’s Permit

City of Norfolk. Department of Health requires that all who volunteer in the preparation of any foods in a public venue obtain a Food Handler’s Permit.

A public venue is any place where food is served to the general population, thus including our shul. In order for anyone to volunteer to work in the kitchen, whether it be for a Kiddush, Shalosh Seudos, or dinner, you must have a food handler’s permit. You can take a short course and obtain the card online at or,

Please file a copy of your card with Michele in the B’nai Israel office, so it will be available for Department of Health inspection when they visit. There is another form to be filled out once the card is obtained.